Saturday, October 25, 2014

When 'chsh' simple does not work

I got into this problem lately in a Live environment of the new Ubuntu MATE release where no matter how many times I change the password using 'sudo passwd' it simply does not effect 'chsh'. So, when I type in
chsh -s /usr/bin/zsh
It asks for the password. And when I type the password in, it does not work. It simply says "PAM: Authentication Failure". Ok, so go for Googling. Later, I found out that all user 'home' and 'shell' infos are stored in a file located by '/etc/passwd'. Now you need root to do this. So how do you get root? For a Live system, that's simple. just type in
sudo -i
It should give you the '#' prompt so you're root now. Now just open the file using your favorite editor like
nano /etc/passwd
Then find your user name and change the string right after the last ':' on that line. Done. Reboot and go. For now, I seriously don't know why 'chsh' didn't work. :( anybody have any clues?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment here. If you want to say something about programming problems, scripts, software etc, please try to be as descriptive as possible.

Connect Rapoo MT750S with Linux (Tested on Manjaro)

 I bought this obvious copy of MX Master 2S in hopes of having the device switching functionality along with a lightweight body because I ha...